Awareness seminar and technology exhibition in Mullaitivu and Mannar Districts for new entrepreneurs.
The seventh seminar for the Vavuniya, Mullaitivu and Mannar District entrepreneurs on the national program of developing 2000 New Exporters was held on March 01, 2019 at the vavuniya district secretariat conference hall.
The EDB is implementing a national programme to nurture 2000 new entrepreneurs to become exporters during the period 2017 – 2022 at regional level. The main objective of this programme is to encourage domestic enterprises to invest in export industries to achieve the overall export target of US $ 28 billion in 2022.
The first seminar to launch this national programme was held on March 23rd , 2017 for the Northern Province Entrepreneurs in Jaffna and the second phase of the seminar was held in Kandy for the Central Province Entrepreneurs. The third phase was held for the Southern Province entrepreneurs in Matara. The fourth phase was held for the North Western Province entrepreneurs in Kurunegala. The fifth seminar was held for the Sabaragamuwa Province entrepreneurs in Kegalle. The sixth seminar was held for the North Central Province entrepreneurs in Anuradhapura.
The seminar will focus on introducing Export business opportunities for development of products suitable for the province including spice products, ornamental articles, processed foods, ayurvedic products, coir products, and Ornamental fish and wellness tourism with a view to increase export supplies from the province of those potential products and services.
Objectives of the 2000 New Exporter Development Programme
- Contribute to achieve national export target of USD 23 billion in 2020.
- Encourage regional based entrepreneurs to enter the export market.
- Integrate local supply chain to the global value chain of exports.
- Explore export market opportunities for new products from regional resources utilizing FTAs, GSP+ concessions etc.
- Contribute to national initiative of creating one million jobs while empowering the regional community
The program includes an awareness program for entrepreneurs, a technological display of technology used in the export industry for the benefit of entrepreneurs and the school students to educate about the export sector, a discussion with top business leaders to attract them to the export sector.
EDB will provide the following services for the Registered Entrepreneurs under the 2000 New Exporter Development Programme
- Grouping of Entrepreneurs Product Sector Wise
- Conducting Interviews with the Registered Entrepreneurs for Need Analysis
- Developing export oriented business plans for each selected company
- Facilitating the setting up Infrastructure Facilities (Lands/Industrial Estate ect. where necessary)
- Facilitating Bank Financing (if required)
- Facilitating Technology Transfer/Sourcing of Machinery/ Training etc.
- Facilitating Product Development
- Facilitating Market Development Activities – Trade Promotion Events, B2B Meetings & Inward Buying Missions etc.
- Providing services of an EDB “Account Manager” for Facilitation, Inputs, Coordination and solving issues related to above activities.
- Engaging in Follow up and Monitoring
The Mini Exhibition on technology is with the participation of stakeholder organizations relevant for the export sector representing Industrial Development Board (IDB), Industrial Technology Institute (ITI), Sri Lanka Standards Institution (SLSI), National Engineering Research and Development Centre (NERD), Post-Harvest Technology Institute (PHTI), Department of Export Agriculture (DEA), Coconut Development Authority (CDA), Sri Lanka Institutes of Nanotechnology (SLINTEC), Bureau Veritas Consumer Products Services Lanka (Pvt) Ltd and Tulip Technologies (Pvt) Ltd.
Governor of Northern Province Dr.Suren Raghavan, Minister of Development Strategies and International Trade Malik Samarawickrema, Minister of Industry & Commerce, Resettlement of Protracted Displaced Persons and Co-operative Development Rishad Bathiudeen, Deputy Minister of Development Strategies and International Trade Nalin Bandara Jayamaha , Secretary of the Ministry of Development Strategies and International Trade Mr.S.T. Kodikara , District Secretary of vavuniya Mr. I.M.Haniffa, District Secretary of mullaitivu Mrs.R.Ketheeswaran , District Secretary of Mannar Mr.C.A.Mohanras, Chairperson & Chief Executive of Export Development Board Ms. Indira Malwatte and Officials of government and private sector graced this occasion.